Dr Unruh and his entire team work hard to ensure their patients have healthy mouths. Unfortunately dry mouth is becoming a common condition that can have many negative effects. The scientific term for dry mouth is Xerostomia. In Dental School, Dr Unruh was only taught about the auto immune cause called Sjogrens Syndrome.
At Thomas Unruh DDS, in Minden, Nevada, the vast majority of cases are caused as a side effect of medications (Painkillers, water pills, antidepressants and antipsychotics, ADD medication, blood pressure medication and decongestants to name a few.). Pain killers (opioids) are a major cause of severe dry mouth. The worst by far is Methadone. The decay that follows its use is, in some cases, unstoppable. People can walk around with water bottles, use Biotene, and even use prescription strength fluoride but, at best, the progression of decay is only slowed.
Without saliva a whole system of protection for the teeth is lost.
The benefits of Saliva are:
1. It can help wash away debris.
2. It has enzymes to begin digestion of food.
3. It has immune cells to help control bacteria and fungi.
4. It has mucous to lubricate the dry mouth and help with swallowing.
5. Mostly importantly, it prevents decay and acts as a buffer due to its concentration of calcium and phosphate that inhibit the cavity-causing bacteria from dissolving tooth structure away.
If you are struggling with dry mouth be sure to call Thomas Unruh DDS and get on a consistent recall system so this condition can be monitored closely.